Monday, June 21, 2010

SHAQ the GOAT!



Here is a pic I took tonight of SHAQ soaking up the last rays of the summer solstice. You can see how he rotated his middle leaf to catch as much sun as possible. It's like he is reaching to gain any advantage, knowing the days only get shorter from here on out.

Today at work I was talking to Jeanne about SHAQ.
She commented, "Wouldn't it be funny if you actually won?"
Me:(as if I didn't hear her correctly), "What's that?"
Her: repeating herself,"Wouldn't it be funny..."
That's as far as she got before I realized what she had said. My mind raced, I couldn't believe she had said that. I needed to come up with something quick, I responded: "Yeah."
That's all I could come up with. I had never heard such a comment about SHAQ, and it had kinda put me back in my shoes a little. I didn't know what to say. I should have come up with something better than "yeah".
I know what funny is. Funny is Chris Farley in a little coat. Funny is listening to Porter tell stories about cats. Funny is lots of things, but it's not SHAQ winning. Awe inspiring, magnificent, humbling, powerful, fitting, Great, yes all of those, but not funny. Unless you think tornadoes are funny. Unless you think lightning splitting trees in half is funny. Unless you think Kobe Bryant dropping 81points in a single game is funny, SHAQ winning this contest is NOT funny.

Perhaps I haven't made myself clear on this. For all of you who think this is funny, I want you to ask yourself. How is it funny for the most prepared,gifted,and dominate specimen to win any contest?.

What I wanted to hear the first time was "wouldn't it be funny if you actually DIDN'T win? That would have been much easier for my simple mind to grasp. It would have made more sense.

SHAQ didn't decide to enter this contest to be cute, or funny. He came to dominate! He came to make a statement! SHAQ is the GOAT!

GREATEST-OF-ALL-TIME!!!!!!!

1 comment: